Long Island News
Police investigate deadly hit and run in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the hit and run death of a 45-year-old man.
Suffolk County Police say Milton Maldonado was discovered lying on Church Street in Central Islip Saturday night by a passer-by who called 911. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
On Sunday night, a brother left flowers, and friends left the rest of the modest memorial where a man who lived on society's fringe, was killed by a motorist who didn't bother to stop.
Gustavo Linares was in his room at 11:30 on Saturday night.
"I ran to my window - I think he's dead," said Linares.
Police were there in minutes, but it took time to identify Maldonado, who has struggled since his mother and aunt died within weeks of each other last year.
It wasn't until late Sunday that police officially called the incident a hit and run, however, witnesses knew right away.
Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island, central islip, hit and run accident, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97