Long Island News
Police investigate deadly hit and run in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the hit and run death of a 45-year-old man.
Suffolk County Police say Milton Maldonado was discovered lying on Church Street in Central Islip Saturday night by a passer-by who called 911. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
On Sunday night, a brother left flowers, and friends left the rest of the modest memorial where a man who lived on society's fringe, was killed by a motorist who didn't bother to stop.
Gustavo Linares was in his room at 11:30 on Saturday night.
"I ran to my window - I think he's dead," said Linares.
Police were there in minutes, but it took time to identify Maldonado, who has struggled since his mother and aunt died within weeks of each other last year.
It wasn't until late Sunday that police officially called the incident a hit and run, however, witnesses knew right away.
Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island, central islip, hit and run accident, long island news
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos