Long Island News
Police investigate deadly hit and run in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the hit and run death of a 45-year-old man.
Suffolk County Police say Milton Maldonado was discovered lying on Church Street in Central Islip Saturday night by a passer-by who called 911. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
On Sunday night, a brother left flowers, and friends left the rest of the modest memorial where a man who lived on society's fringe, was killed by a motorist who didn't bother to stop.
Gustavo Linares was in his room at 11:30 on Saturday night.
"I ran to my window - I think he's dead," said Linares.
Police were there in minutes, but it took time to identify Maldonado, who has struggled since his mother and aunt died within weeks of each other last year.
It wasn't until late Sunday that police officially called the incident a hit and run, however, witnesses knew right away.
Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island, central islip, hit and run accident, long island news
- At least 2 dead, 55 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Some Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination