Long Island News
Gun buyback program held on Long Island
AMITYVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island church hosted a gun buyback program where anyone turning in an assault weapon received $300 cash.
And anyone handing in an unregistered handgun at Saturday's buyback received $100.
The Prayer Tabernacle Church of God in Christ in Amityville was hosting the buyback sponsored by Suffolk County officials. The three-hour event started at noon.
The Rev. Walter Willie says the program benefits the whole community because when someone uses a weapon to destroy a life it affects everyone, both perpetrators and victims.
County Police Lt. Robert Donohue says an assault weapon was the first one handed in Saturday.
He says a man turned in the Russian-made gun because he was nervous about having it in his house.
No questions were asked about how the guns were acquired.
long island, gun buy back, gun control, assault weapons, amityville, long island news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 53 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 41 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 49 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 42 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 7 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
56 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
31 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos