Long Island News
Gun buyback program held on Long Island
AMITYVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island church hosted a gun buyback program where anyone turning in an assault weapon received $300 cash.
And anyone handing in an unregistered handgun at Saturday's buyback received $100.
The Prayer Tabernacle Church of God in Christ in Amityville was hosting the buyback sponsored by Suffolk County officials. The three-hour event started at noon.
The Rev. Walter Willie says the program benefits the whole community because when someone uses a weapon to destroy a life it affects everyone, both perpetrators and victims.
County Police Lt. Robert Donohue says an assault weapon was the first one handed in Saturday.
He says a man turned in the Russian-made gun because he was nervous about having it in his house.
No questions were asked about how the guns were acquired.
long island, gun buy back, gun control, assault weapons, amityville, long island news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 57 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos