Long Island News
2 cab drivers robbed 25 hours apart on Long Island
WESTBURY (WABC) -- Authorities on Long Island are investigating a pair of taxi driver robberies that may be related.
Now, Nassau County police are trying to determine if the robbers who held up a cabbie Tuesday night are the same two men who robbed another driver the night before.
The back-to-back robberies have police and cabbies worried that a pattern targeting drivers is developing.
The latest incident happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday in Westbury and landed the victim in the hospital.
The first robbery took place just 25 hours earlier in New Cassel.
According to detectives, the Centro America Taxi Company dispatched the 32-year-old male victim driver to pick up a fare at 393 Upland Street.
Two black males were picked up at that location. Later, one of the suspects, who was sitting in the front seat, displayed a silver handgun and demanded money.
The victim grabbed the gun, and a struggle ensued.
After regaining control of the gun, the suspect struck the victim in the head with it, causing a laceration and bleeding above his right eye.
Both subjects then went through the victim's pockets, removed an undisclosed amount of money, exited the cab and fled southbound on Upland Street on foot.
The victim, who was only able to describe the subjects as male blacks, both in their mid 20s, was transported to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The driver in the first incident, who worked for a different cab company, was not injured in the robbery.
Detectives request anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
long island, new cassel, westbury, taxi, robbery, long island news
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 41 min ago
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 5 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
5 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
24 min ago