Long Island News
2 cab drivers robbed 25 hours apart on Long Island
WESTBURY (WABC) -- Authorities on Long Island are investigating a pair of taxi driver robberies that may be related.
Now, Nassau County police are trying to determine if the robbers who held up a cabbie Tuesday night are the same two men who robbed another driver the night before.
The back-to-back robberies have police and cabbies worried that a pattern targeting drivers is developing.
The latest incident happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday in Westbury and landed the victim in the hospital.
The first robbery took place just 25 hours earlier in New Cassel.
According to detectives, the Centro America Taxi Company dispatched the 32-year-old male victim driver to pick up a fare at 393 Upland Street.
Two black males were picked up at that location. Later, one of the suspects, who was sitting in the front seat, displayed a silver handgun and demanded money.
The victim grabbed the gun, and a struggle ensued.
After regaining control of the gun, the suspect struck the victim in the head with it, causing a laceration and bleeding above his right eye.
Both subjects then went through the victim's pockets, removed an undisclosed amount of money, exited the cab and fled southbound on Upland Street on foot.
The victim, who was only able to describe the subjects as male blacks, both in their mid 20s, was transported to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The driver in the first incident, who worked for a different cab company, was not injured in the robbery.
Detectives request anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
long island, new cassel, westbury, taxi, robbery, long island news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 1 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 10 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of Year 4 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket 39 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
1 min ago