Long Island News
Suffolk County officer injured by alleged drunk driver
PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Central Islip man is under arrest after police say his car rear-ended a police vehicle and injured a Suffolk County police officer.
29-year old Salvatore Distefano is charged with Driving While Intoxicated, Assault 3rd Degree and violating New York State's "Move Over Law".
The accident happened as Suffolk County police were conducting a follow-up search at the scene of a crash earlier in the day in Patchogue.
Officer Brian Smales of the Highway Patrol Bureau had placed his car, with emergency lights activated, on the right shoulder of Sunrise Highway, outside the lane of traffic.
Police say DiStefano, driving a 2012 Chrysler 200, hit the back of the police car.
Officer Smales was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where he was treated for head, neck, back and leg injuries and released.
Distefano was arrested at the scene and then transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where he was treated for facial lacerations and released.
long island, patchogue, drunk driving, police officer injured, dwi, long island news
- Cuomo to announce new deal between MTA and Transit Union 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 12 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 28 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
28 min ago