Long Island News
Suffolk County officer injured by alleged drunk driver
PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Central Islip man is under arrest after police say his car rear-ended a police vehicle and injured a Suffolk County police officer.
29-year old Salvatore Distefano is charged with Driving While Intoxicated, Assault 3rd Degree and violating New York State's "Move Over Law".
The accident happened as Suffolk County police were conducting a follow-up search at the scene of a crash earlier in the day in Patchogue.
Officer Brian Smales of the Highway Patrol Bureau had placed his car, with emergency lights activated, on the right shoulder of Sunrise Highway, outside the lane of traffic.
Police say DiStefano, driving a 2012 Chrysler 200, hit the back of the police car.
Officer Smales was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where he was treated for head, neck, back and leg injuries and released.
Distefano was arrested at the scene and then transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where he was treated for facial lacerations and released.
long island, patchogue, drunk driving, police officer injured, dwi, long island news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 26 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car 36 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash 17 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse