Long Island News
Suffolk County officer injured by alleged drunk driver
PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Central Islip man is under arrest after police say his car rear-ended a police vehicle and injured a Suffolk County police officer.
29-year old Salvatore Distefano is charged with Driving While Intoxicated, Assault 3rd Degree and violating New York State's "Move Over Law".
The accident happened as Suffolk County police were conducting a follow-up search at the scene of a crash earlier in the day in Patchogue.
Officer Brian Smales of the Highway Patrol Bureau had placed his car, with emergency lights activated, on the right shoulder of Sunrise Highway, outside the lane of traffic.
Police say DiStefano, driving a 2012 Chrysler 200, hit the back of the police car.
Officer Smales was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where he was treated for head, neck, back and leg injuries and released.
Distefano was arrested at the scene and then transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where he was treated for facial lacerations and released.
long island, patchogue, drunk driving, police officer injured, dwi, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite 49 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
38 min ago