Long Island News
Police officer accused of punching 3-year old son
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- A police officer is accused of punching his 3-year-old son in the face at their Long Island home.
Jason Sharp, of Bellmore, was charged with assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal mischief.
He was arraigned Sunday and released on his own recognizance.
The judge issued an order of protection, barring Sharp from harassing his wife, his son and a 5-year-old child.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/YlxPtT ) says Sharp is an officer on the Brooklyn police gang unit.
The 3-year-old suffered swelling and bruising to the right eye, cheek and nose. The incident occurred Saturday afternoon.
Authorities say Sharp also punched a hole in the wall of the house while arguing with his wife.
He's due back in court on March 18. Information about his attorney wasn't immediately available.
long island, bellmore, child endangerment, police, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities 59 min ago
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate 40 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win 45 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014