Long Island News
Police officer accused of punching 3-year old son
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- A police officer is accused of punching his 3-year-old son in the face at their Long Island home.
Jason Sharp, of Bellmore, was charged with assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal mischief.
He was arraigned Sunday and released on his own recognizance.
The judge issued an order of protection, barring Sharp from harassing his wife, his son and a 5-year-old child.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/YlxPtT ) says Sharp is an officer on the Brooklyn police gang unit.
The 3-year-old suffered swelling and bruising to the right eye, cheek and nose. The incident occurred Saturday afternoon.
Authorities say Sharp also punched a hole in the wall of the house while arguing with his wife.
He's due back in court on March 18. Information about his attorney wasn't immediately available.
long island, bellmore, child endangerment, police, long island news
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Boy injured in Mount Olive sledding accident
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey gets hit with another dose of snow
- Long Island gets through snow blast
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids 51 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
15 min ago