Long Island News
List of most dangerous roadways for pedestrians
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- In some places, trying to get across the Hempstead Turnpike is like trying to get across the Daytona Speedway. Close-calls happen just about every day, and timing really is everything.
According to a three-year study by the non-profit Tri-State Transportation Campaign, Hempstead Turnpike is the regions "Most Dangerous Road for Pedestrians."
It's followed by Broadway in Upper Manhattan, Jericho Turnpike through Suffolk County, Sunrise Highway through Nassau, as well as Route 110 in Suffolk.
The rankings are based on the rate of fatal pedestrian accidents. On the Hempstead Turnpike for example, at least five people are struck and killed every year.
The state Transportation Department has added push-buttons and countdown timers. But the fact is, traffic lights are literally few and far between. And, despite the risks, people seem to cross wherever they feel like it.
Among the most dangerous stretches, the DOT has added fences to the median. Bus stops will be moved to the corners.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 35 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 22 min ago