Long Island News
Long Islanders cope with rising gas prices
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. (WABC) -- If you have filled your car's gas tank recently you know that prices are soaring.
AAA says the average price of regular unleaded is now $3.73 a gallon.
That's up 43 cents in a month.
In New York, the average price is now $3.98.
In Connecticut, it's two cents less.
New Jersey has the least expensive gas at $3.61 a gallon.
Drivers are of course not happy about the soaring gas prices.
"Very tough to be paying that much money for gas," said George Kennedy, a Brentwood resident.
You don't have to convince people of that.
Yes, gas prices are once again going up.
You're probably not the only one who's been shocked when you see the final total at the tank.
"I don't even understand why they fluctuate so badly. What was it a month ago? It was $3.60/$3.70," said Scott Spencer, a Coram resident.
Experts say this recent fluctuation could be based on a number of factors.
One of them, as we've heard before, is demand for oil in developing countries like China is increasing so there's more demand for oil and the price goes up worldwide.
What's interesting to see is how what's happening globally has an effect on people right here at home.
People are once again changing their habits, for one buying gas in states where it's cheaper.
"My family is in New Hampshire. So I just get a little bit of gas now to get me there and I try to come back as full as possible," said Andrew Gross, a Hauppauge resident.
"We have two cars. This guy, the SUV, uses a lot of gas obviously so I'm trying to use my smaller car more but with the snow you couldn't get around with this car," said Chris Tellekamp, a Hauppauge resident.
"Me and my wife carpool. Don't have a choice. Have to carpool. Several days a week now," Spencer said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gas prices, long island news, kristin thorne
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor 33 min ago
- Most Metro-North service resumes on Hudson Line
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park 5 min ago
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus
- Newtown 911 calls to be released Wednesday 9 min ago
- 'Fast & Furious 7' halted after Paul Walker's death
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos