Long Island News
Long Islanders cope with rising gas prices
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. (WABC) -- If you have filled your car's gas tank recently you know that prices are soaring.
AAA says the average price of regular unleaded is now $3.73 a gallon.
That's up 43 cents in a month.
In New York, the average price is now $3.98.
In Connecticut, it's two cents less.
New Jersey has the least expensive gas at $3.61 a gallon.
Drivers are of course not happy about the soaring gas prices.
"Very tough to be paying that much money for gas," said George Kennedy, a Brentwood resident.
You don't have to convince people of that.
Yes, gas prices are once again going up.
You're probably not the only one who's been shocked when you see the final total at the tank.
"I don't even understand why they fluctuate so badly. What was it a month ago? It was $3.60/$3.70," said Scott Spencer, a Coram resident.
Experts say this recent fluctuation could be based on a number of factors.
One of them, as we've heard before, is demand for oil in developing countries like China is increasing so there's more demand for oil and the price goes up worldwide.
What's interesting to see is how what's happening globally has an effect on people right here at home.
People are once again changing their habits, for one buying gas in states where it's cheaper.
"My family is in New Hampshire. So I just get a little bit of gas now to get me there and I try to come back as full as possible," said Andrew Gross, a Hauppauge resident.
"We have two cars. This guy, the SUV, uses a lot of gas obviously so I'm trying to use my smaller car more but with the snow you couldn't get around with this car," said Chris Tellekamp, a Hauppauge resident.
"Me and my wife carpool. Don't have a choice. Have to carpool. Several days a week now," Spencer said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gas prices, long island news, kristin thorne
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos