Long Island News
Businesses worry about shortened winter breaks
BALDWIN (WABC) -- So many local businesses like Baldwin Bowl rely on mid-winter recess for a boost in revenue. However, now that Long Island school districts are canceling the vacation, it hurts their bottom line.
Baldwin Bowl is a hot spot on Saturday night, and that is good for business. It is the upcoming week that makes manager Mike D'Ambrosio nervous.
"That week is really important because it does generate revenue for that 7 day period," D'Ambrosio adds.
The mid-winter recess vacation is one of the most profitable weeks for bowling alleys. Baldwin Bowl, like many other local businesses will be losing out on thousands of dollars because many Long Island school districts are calling students back to the classroom. It is all because Superstorm Sandy and the recent blizzard forced districts to cancel school, and now they need to make up for lost days.
Businesses who rely on kids looking for something fun to do on their break will be losing out.
"They need more school days for the regents, and we need more prep days," said Freeport High School student Samantha Rodriguez.
Rodriguez will be going back to school, which means she won't get to bowl, go to the mall, or see a movie with a friend.
Mike D'Ambrosio is crossing his fingers that businesses won't take as big a hit as expected.
"We do rely on the week of winter recess to capitalize on people being home," says D'Ambrosio.
Baldwin Bowl could be losing as much as $20,000 next week.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, baldwin, blizzard, superstorm sandy, long island news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 13 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
13 min ago