Long Island News
Fire forces evacuation of Long Island motel
HAUPPAGUE (WABC) -- A Long Island motel was evacuated Friday night after fire broke out in one of the rooms.
The incident happened at the Olympic Motor Lodge on Vanderbilt Parkway in Hauppauge just after 8 p.m.
Guests in 17 rooms rushed out quickly as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.
No injuries were reported.
A motel guest admitted the fire began because he was smoking in bed, and the mattress caught fire.
The fire spread to adjoining rooms, and the motel suffered fire and water damage.
The Red Cross has relocated the motel's guests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hauppauge, fire, superstorm sandy, long island news
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 24 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 52 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
24 min ago