Long Island News
Fire forces evacuation of Long Island motel
HAUPPAGUE (WABC) -- A Long Island motel was evacuated Friday night after fire broke out in one of the rooms.
The incident happened at the Olympic Motor Lodge on Vanderbilt Parkway in Hauppauge just after 8 p.m.
Guests in 17 rooms rushed out quickly as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.
No injuries were reported.
A motel guest admitted the fire began because he was smoking in bed, and the mattress caught fire.
The fire spread to adjoining rooms, and the motel suffered fire and water damage.
The Red Cross has relocated the motel's guests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hauppauge, fire, superstorm sandy, long island news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos