Long Island News
Fire forces evacuation of Long Island motel
HAUPPAGUE (WABC) -- A Long Island motel was evacuated Friday night after fire broke out in one of the rooms.
The incident happened at the Olympic Motor Lodge on Vanderbilt Parkway in Hauppauge just after 8 p.m.
Guests in 17 rooms rushed out quickly as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.
No injuries were reported.
A motel guest admitted the fire began because he was smoking in bed, and the mattress caught fire.
The fire spread to adjoining rooms, and the motel suffered fire and water damage.
The Red Cross has relocated the motel's guests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hauppauge, fire, superstorm sandy, long island news
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench 26 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 56 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- Body found in lake where Conn. photographer went missing
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
56 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
41 min ago