Long Island News
Police open fire on loose pit bulls
UNIONDALE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County opened fire on a pair of pit bulls.
Police say the dogs escaped a fenced-in yard in Uniondale late Friday afternoon and ended up chasing a group of children.
Officers who responded to the scene say when the dogs charged at them.
One of the officers fired a shot, but did not hit either dog.
They were later tranquilized and seized by animal control.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, uniondale, pit bulls, long island news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot 32 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos