Long Island News
Two accused of stealing heating oil from Long Island homes
MASTIC, N.Y. (WABC) -- Two people are under arrest on charges of stealing home heating oil from homes on Long Island. .
Suffolk County Police say 46-year old Frank Dawson and 44-year old Towania McCrae stole the oil from storage tanks on the property of eight vacant homes in the Mastic area.
On Saturday night, officers say they observed the two pumping heating oil from the underground tank of an unoccupied home on Hampton Ave. in Mastic and transferring the oil to three storage tanks that they were carrying in the rear of Dawson's pickup truck.
After the officers placed both suspects under arrest, police say Dawson took the officers to seven other locations in Mastic where he had previously stolen home heating oil.
The two are charged with Petit Larceny and Possession of Burglar's Tools.
Dawson is also charged with Criminal Trespass 3rd Degree.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mastic, theft, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
12 min ago