Long Island News
Drugs, weapons cache found in man's bedroom
FRANKLIN SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A big bust on Long Island has landed two men behind bars.
$50,000 worth of steroids imported from Mexico, 3,200 bags of heroin, and six assault rifles with high capacity magazines were all recovered by police.
Police say that's not all that they found inside the bedroom of 26-year-old Gabriel DiPierno.
They also found materials to make explosives.
"He had home-making material that if set correctly and detonated would have blown off the top of that house," said Det. Sgt. Patrick Ryder, Nassau County Police Department.
Police seized everything from DiPierno's parents' house in Franklin Square Tuesday night.
DiPierno is engaged but lives there.
Police believe his parents had no idea what was going on.
"Everything that you see on the table was recovered from his bedroom, nowhere else in the house," Det. Sgt. Ryder said.
Eyewitness News spoke with DiPierno's parents at his arraignment Wednesday afternoon.
His mother said her son has problems and she's been trying to get him help.
"We're good parents. Things happen, things happen," she said.
Police believe that DiPierno had every intention of selling the drugs and had already been selling them although it's not clear to whom.
"Everything that you see on this table, from the firearms to the drugs, will be tracked as far as we can track back so we can find out who was the provider of these items," Det. Sgt. Ryder said.
DiPierno pled not guilty to all of the charges.
The judge ordered that he be held without bail.
28-year-old Kenneth J. Butler was also arrested for buying heroin. He's been charged with Criminal Possession of a Control Substance.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drug, gun, long island news, kristin thorne
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 6 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 13 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
6 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos