Long Island News
Drugs, weapons cache found in man's bedroom
FRANKLIN SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A big bust on Long Island has landed two men behind bars.
$50,000 worth of steroids imported from Mexico, 3,200 bags of heroin, and six assault rifles with high capacity magazines were all recovered by police.
Police say that's not all that they found inside the bedroom of 26-year-old Gabriel DiPierno.
They also found materials to make explosives.
"He had home-making material that if set correctly and detonated would have blown off the top of that house," said Det. Sgt. Patrick Ryder, Nassau County Police Department.
Police seized everything from DiPierno's parents' house in Franklin Square Tuesday night.
DiPierno is engaged but lives there.
Police believe his parents had no idea what was going on.
"Everything that you see on the table was recovered from his bedroom, nowhere else in the house," Det. Sgt. Ryder said.
Eyewitness News spoke with DiPierno's parents at his arraignment Wednesday afternoon.
His mother said her son has problems and she's been trying to get him help.
"We're good parents. Things happen, things happen," she said.
Police believe that DiPierno had every intention of selling the drugs and had already been selling them although it's not clear to whom.
"Everything that you see on this table, from the firearms to the drugs, will be tracked as far as we can track back so we can find out who was the provider of these items," Det. Sgt. Ryder said.
DiPierno pled not guilty to all of the charges.
The judge ordered that he be held without bail.
28-year-old Kenneth J. Butler was also arrested for buying heroin. He's been charged with Criminal Possession of a Control Substance.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drug, gun, long island news, kristin thorne
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green