Long Island News
Man with a gun sparked lockdown at East Patchogue school
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- An sighting of a man walking with a rifle prompted the lockdown of an East Patchogue school.
Police received several calls about a man with a rifle on near Verne Critz Elementary School on North Dunton Avenue.
The person was spotted walking past the school. The witnesses did not believe the person was walking to the school .
School officials locked down the elementary school out of an abundance of caution.
The road to the school was also closed as police investigated.
The man cooperated with police, and it was determined he had no apparent intention to harm anyone.
The man was arrested on an unrelated charge.
Police are still determining whether or not the gun was working.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, east patchogue, school lockdown, long island news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane 56 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 28 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos