Long Island News
Man with a gun sparked lockdown at East Patchogue school
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- An sighting of a man walking with a rifle prompted the lockdown of an East Patchogue school.
Police received several calls about a man with a rifle on near Verne Critz Elementary School on North Dunton Avenue.
The person was spotted walking past the school. The witnesses did not believe the person was walking to the school .
School officials locked down the elementary school out of an abundance of caution.
The road to the school was also closed as police investigated.
The man cooperated with police, and it was determined he had no apparent intention to harm anyone.
The man was arrested on an unrelated charge.
Police are still determining whether or not the gun was working.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, east patchogue, school lockdown, long island news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers