Long Island News
Man with a gun sparked lockdown at East Patchogue school
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- An sighting of a man walking with a rifle prompted the lockdown of an East Patchogue school.
Police received several calls about a man with a rifle on near Verne Critz Elementary School on North Dunton Avenue.
The person was spotted walking past the school. The witnesses did not believe the person was walking to the school .
School officials locked down the elementary school out of an abundance of caution.
The road to the school was also closed as police investigated.
The man cooperated with police, and it was determined he had no apparent intention to harm anyone.
The man was arrested on an unrelated charge.
Police are still determining whether or not the gun was working.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, east patchogue, school lockdown, long island news
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos