Long Island News
Man with a gun sparked lockdown at East Patchogue school
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- An sighting of a man walking with a rifle prompted the lockdown of an East Patchogue school.
Police received several calls about a man with a rifle on near Verne Critz Elementary School on North Dunton Avenue.
The person was spotted walking past the school. The witnesses did not believe the person was walking to the school .
School officials locked down the elementary school out of an abundance of caution.
The road to the school was also closed as police investigated.
The man cooperated with police, and it was determined he had no apparent intention to harm anyone.
The man was arrested on an unrelated charge.
Police are still determining whether or not the gun was working.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, east patchogue, school lockdown, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 21 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 24 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos