Long Island News
Woman accused of running pit bull fighting ring
NEW CASSEL -- Police on Long Island have arrested a 38-year-old woman in New Cassel on dog fighting charges.
Police say officers were responding to a noise complaint at the woman's house at 721 Broadway Friday night when they saw 15 to 20 people running from the garage.
Inside the garage, police say officers found a dog fighting ring containing two bloodied pit bulls.
The officers confronted the homeowner inside the house, Monica Christopher, and found numerous crates containing pit bulls - many with wounds - two treadmills, penicillin, steroids and syringes.
Police say 18 pit bulls were removed from the home and taken to the North Hempstead Shelter for evaluation.
Police say Christopher was arraigned Sunday on charges of prohibition animal fighting. Information on her lawyer was not immediately available.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new cassel, dog, long island news
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos