Long Island News
Woman accused of running pit bull fighting ring
NEW CASSEL -- Police on Long Island have arrested a 38-year-old woman in New Cassel on dog fighting charges.
Police say officers were responding to a noise complaint at the woman's house at 721 Broadway Friday night when they saw 15 to 20 people running from the garage.
Inside the garage, police say officers found a dog fighting ring containing two bloodied pit bulls.
The officers confronted the homeowner inside the house, Monica Christopher, and found numerous crates containing pit bulls - many with wounds - two treadmills, penicillin, steroids and syringes.
Police say 18 pit bulls were removed from the home and taken to the North Hempstead Shelter for evaluation.
Police say Christopher was arraigned Sunday on charges of prohibition animal fighting. Information on her lawyer was not immediately available.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new cassel, dog, long island news
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 47 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 53 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
2 min ago