Long Island News
Woman accused of running pit bull fighting ring
NEW CASSEL -- Police on Long Island have arrested a 38-year-old woman in New Cassel on dog fighting charges.
Police say officers were responding to a noise complaint at the woman's house at 721 Broadway Friday night when they saw 15 to 20 people running from the garage.
Inside the garage, police say officers found a dog fighting ring containing two bloodied pit bulls.
The officers confronted the homeowner inside the house, Monica Christopher, and found numerous crates containing pit bulls - many with wounds - two treadmills, penicillin, steroids and syringes.
Police say 18 pit bulls were removed from the home and taken to the North Hempstead Shelter for evaluation.
Police say Christopher was arraigned Sunday on charges of prohibition animal fighting. Information on her lawyer was not immediately available.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new cassel, dog, long island news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 35 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Aaron Hernandez' home searched in murder investigation
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites 21 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places 21 min ago
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench