Long Island News
2 dead, 3 injured in Southern State Parkway accident
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- Tania Boutin says her 30-year-old brother Kervens kept calling her. She has all of the missed calls because she was trying to fall asleep. These are calls Boutin now wishes she had answered.
Police say Kervens was recklessly driving his black Nissan Maxima, when it careened off the Southern State Parkway and violently crashed into a tree.
She spoke with me outside of the hospital where her brother is in critical condition.
"Both of his legs have already been amputated, it's very hard to talk about it," said Tania.
Hard because four others were riding in the same car.
19-year-old Marlo Cabrera was also at the hospital with grave wounds, 22-year-old Antonio Rivas is at another hospital.
20-year-old Bryan Rivas and 22-year-old Bloosom Castro did not walk away, they were killed in the early morning crash,
"I heard the guy slide, not squeaking tires but like a tumble like a sound like a tumble," said eyewitness Jason Todeschini.
Todeschini ran outside and saw bodies scattered in these woods, 3 men had been thrown from the car, which was split in two when the roof hit this tree.
Todeschini has witnessed other fatal accidents in this exact same spot.
In 2008, a 27-year-old riding in a motorcycle was killed. Todeschini worries if something isn't done, someone else will die.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, southern state parkway, accident, long island news, kemberly richardson
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 23 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 21 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
10 min ago