Long Island News
2 men believed to be behind burglary spree arrested
PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Two Long Island men are under arrest and facing attempted burglary charges after they allegedly tried to break into a home in East Patchogue Thursday.
Police believe Philip Mazzola and Richard Crane are also responsible for at least three burglaries in the area over the last month.
Officers responded to the Corbin Avenue home after callers reported that a suspicious man had gone into a neighbor's backyard at approximately 1 p.m.
A short time later, officers came accross a Nissan Altima that matched the description of a car that was seen on the street around the time of the 911 calls.
Mazzola was arrested in the car, while Crane was on foot and walking around the neighborhood approximately one block away from the crime scene.
Crane, of Bellport, and the Mazzola, of Patchogue, both 21, are charged with three counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of second-degree attempted burglary.
The investigation is continuing. Police believe the two men, who were knocking on neighborhood doors looking for unoccupied homes, might be responsible for other burglaries in the area that occurred during the past four weeks. Anyone with information is asked to call anonymously to Crimes Stopper at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, patchogue, burglary, long island news
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,... 28 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home 49 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger 13 min ago
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars 38 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma