Long Island News
2 men believed to be behind burglary spree arrested
PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Two Long Island men are under arrest and facing attempted burglary charges after they allegedly tried to break into a home in East Patchogue Thursday.
Police believe Philip Mazzola and Richard Crane are also responsible for at least three burglaries in the area over the last month.
Officers responded to the Corbin Avenue home after callers reported that a suspicious man had gone into a neighbor's backyard at approximately 1 p.m.
A short time later, officers came accross a Nissan Altima that matched the description of a car that was seen on the street around the time of the 911 calls.
Mazzola was arrested in the car, while Crane was on foot and walking around the neighborhood approximately one block away from the crime scene.
Crane, of Bellport, and the Mazzola, of Patchogue, both 21, are charged with three counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of second-degree attempted burglary.
The investigation is continuing. Police believe the two men, who were knocking on neighborhood doors looking for unoccupied homes, might be responsible for other burglaries in the area that occurred during the past four weeks. Anyone with information is asked to call anonymously to Crimes Stopper at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, patchogue, burglary, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97