Long Island News
2 men believed to be behind burglary spree arrested
PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Two Long Island men are under arrest and facing attempted burglary charges after they allegedly tried to break into a home in East Patchogue Thursday.
Police believe Philip Mazzola and Richard Crane are also responsible for at least three burglaries in the area over the last month.
Officers responded to the Corbin Avenue home after callers reported that a suspicious man had gone into a neighbor's backyard at approximately 1 p.m.
A short time later, officers came accross a Nissan Altima that matched the description of a car that was seen on the street around the time of the 911 calls.
Mazzola was arrested in the car, while Crane was on foot and walking around the neighborhood approximately one block away from the crime scene.
Crane, of Bellport, and the Mazzola, of Patchogue, both 21, are charged with three counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of second-degree attempted burglary.
The investigation is continuing. Police believe the two men, who were knocking on neighborhood doors looking for unoccupied homes, might be responsible for other burglaries in the area that occurred during the past four weeks. Anyone with information is asked to call anonymously to Crimes Stopper at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, patchogue, burglary, long island news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 2 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 24 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos