Long Island News
2 men believed to be behind burglary spree arrested
PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Two Long Island men are under arrest and facing attempted burglary charges after they allegedly tried to break into a home in East Patchogue Thursday.
Police believe Philip Mazzola and Richard Crane are also responsible for at least three burglaries in the area over the last month.
Officers responded to the Corbin Avenue home after callers reported that a suspicious man had gone into a neighbor's backyard at approximately 1 p.m.
A short time later, officers came accross a Nissan Altima that matched the description of a car that was seen on the street around the time of the 911 calls.
Mazzola was arrested in the car, while Crane was on foot and walking around the neighborhood approximately one block away from the crime scene.
Crane, of Bellport, and the Mazzola, of Patchogue, both 21, are charged with three counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of second-degree attempted burglary.
The investigation is continuing. Police believe the two men, who were knocking on neighborhood doors looking for unoccupied homes, might be responsible for other burglaries in the area that occurred during the past four weeks. Anyone with information is asked to call anonymously to Crimes Stopper at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, patchogue, burglary, long island news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos