Long Island News
Broken rails cause headaches for LIRR riders
MINEOLA (WABC) -- The extreme cold created an unusual and potentially dangerous problem for the Long Island Rail Road.
Service was suspended on the Ronkonkoma Branch in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma because of a broken rail east of Brentwood. Trains were running again by 11 a.m. on Friday, but not before buses had to carry commuters throughout the morning.
The freezing temperatures have caused at least seven other tracks to break this week.
A broken rail east of Mineola delayed Thursday night's commute.
Passengers had to wait as crews rushed to replace the rail.
The LIRR says a delay is better than a derailment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island railroad, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 42 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 13 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform 27 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
13 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
14 min ago