Long Island News
Broken rails cause headaches for LIRR riders
MINEOLA (WABC) -- The extreme cold created an unusual and potentially dangerous problem for the Long Island Rail Road.
Service was suspended on the Ronkonkoma Branch in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma because of a broken rail east of Brentwood. Trains were running again by 11 a.m. on Friday, but not before buses had to carry commuters throughout the morning.
The freezing temperatures have caused at least seven other tracks to break this week.
A broken rail east of Mineola delayed Thursday night's commute.
Passengers had to wait as crews rushed to replace the rail.
The LIRR says a delay is better than a derailment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island railroad, long island news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies 43 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning 38 min ago
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 37 min ago
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon 20 min ago
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos