Long Island News
Cement trucker charged in bus driver's death
LOCUST VALLEY -- A cement truck driver has been charged with manslaughter and assault six months after he struck an overpass and then a school bus on Long Island, killing the driver.
Police said Wednesday that 44-year-old Mineola resident Raymond Ragen faces a litany of charges, including reckless driving and aggravated vehicular assault, after the July crash in Locust Valley.
The crash killed 45-year-old bus driver Jorge Guevara and injured four children and a bus attendant.
Police say Ragen's truck smashed into a railroad underpass because it was too tall to fit underneath, then hit the oncoming bus.
In a news release Wednesday, police say Ragen also faces a charge he was using a cellphone while driving.
He will be arraigned later Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, manslaughter, bus, bus accident, long island news
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 30 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup 19 min ago
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
39 min ago