Long Island News
Cement trucker charged in bus driver's death
LOCUST VALLEY -- A cement truck driver has been charged with manslaughter and assault six months after he struck an overpass and then a school bus on Long Island, killing the driver.
Police said Wednesday that 44-year-old Mineola resident Raymond Ragen faces a litany of charges, including reckless driving and aggravated vehicular assault, after the July crash in Locust Valley.
The crash killed 45-year-old bus driver Jorge Guevara and injured four children and a bus attendant.
Police say Ragen's truck smashed into a railroad underpass because it was too tall to fit underneath, then hit the oncoming bus.
In a news release Wednesday, police say Ragen also faces a charge he was using a cellphone while driving.
He will be arraigned later Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, manslaughter, bus, bus accident, long island news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos