Long Island News
Ex-football star Gwaltney among 5 charged in burglary
HUNTINGTON -- A former Long Island high school football star is accused with four other men of burglarizing a home at gunpoint.
Jason Gwaltney and the others were charged with burglary and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police say they broke into a Huntington house through an unlocked door early Tuesday.
Police didn't specify Gwaltney's alleged role. They said three of the suspects were armed and demanded cash from the five residents while two other suspects waited in a getaway car.
Gwaltney, of Brentwood, played football for North Babylon High School. He was Suffolk County's only two-time Hansen Award winner and a three-time All-Long Island selection.
He chose West Virginia University on a football scholarship in 2005, turning down some of the top football schools in the nation.
A knee injury and academic issues caused him to leave school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide