Long Island News
Ex-football star Gwaltney among 5 charged in burglary
HUNTINGTON -- A former Long Island high school football star is accused with four other men of burglarizing a home at gunpoint.
Jason Gwaltney and the others were charged with burglary and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police say they broke into a Huntington house through an unlocked door early Tuesday.
Police didn't specify Gwaltney's alleged role. They said three of the suspects were armed and demanded cash from the five residents while two other suspects waited in a getaway car.
Gwaltney, of Brentwood, played football for North Babylon High School. He was Suffolk County's only two-time Hansen Award winner and a three-time All-Long Island selection.
He chose West Virginia University on a football scholarship in 2005, turning down some of the top football schools in the nation.
A knee injury and academic issues caused him to leave school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan hospital attack
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Photos: On World's Fair's 50th a new national...
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos