Long Island News
Stony Brook choir to perform at inauguration
STONY BROOK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Seven boys, nine girls, make up one fabulous choral ensemble.
They are the chamber singers of the Stony Brook School, a co-ed college preparatory school established in 1922. The specially selected group will represent the school, the county and the state by singing at the presidential inauguration this weekend.
"Not too many people get to be there for the inauguration, so that's pretty much an incredible experience in and of itself. So I'm pretty excited for that," said Madison Rylands, a chamber singer.
"It's an enormous privilege. The experience is going to be absolutely surreal, just the fact that I'm able to say that I witnessed President Obama give his inaugural speech is just mind-blowing," said Remy Leutwyler, a chamber singer.
The students actually learned of the special invitation several months ago after their victory at a music festival caught the attention of some powerful decision-makers in Washington.
"This is the first time we've ever had anybody selected for this honor. And I know our parents, our alumni are excited about this," said Jane Taylor, The Stony Brook School.
The chamber singers, under the guidance of choral director Dustin Ramirez, will perform three songs. And if you haven't noticed, they require no instruments. It's all acapella.
"I was really excited but then I got nervous realizing there is going to be like a lot of people there watching us. It's going to be nerve racking but exciting, good for us," said Maya Kamara, a chamber singer.
And that for sure is something to sing about.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, stony brook, long island news, joe torres
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 25 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 36 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos