Long Island News
Stony Brook choir to perform at inauguration
STONY BROOK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Seven boys, nine girls, make up one fabulous choral ensemble.
They are the chamber singers of the Stony Brook School, a co-ed college preparatory school established in 1922. The specially selected group will represent the school, the county and the state by singing at the presidential inauguration this weekend.
"Not too many people get to be there for the inauguration, so that's pretty much an incredible experience in and of itself. So I'm pretty excited for that," said Madison Rylands, a chamber singer.
"It's an enormous privilege. The experience is going to be absolutely surreal, just the fact that I'm able to say that I witnessed President Obama give his inaugural speech is just mind-blowing," said Remy Leutwyler, a chamber singer.
The students actually learned of the special invitation several months ago after their victory at a music festival caught the attention of some powerful decision-makers in Washington.
"This is the first time we've ever had anybody selected for this honor. And I know our parents, our alumni are excited about this," said Jane Taylor, The Stony Brook School.
The chamber singers, under the guidance of choral director Dustin Ramirez, will perform three songs. And if you haven't noticed, they require no instruments. It's all acapella.
"I was really excited but then I got nervous realizing there is going to be like a lot of people there watching us. It's going to be nerve racking but exciting, good for us," said Maya Kamara, a chamber singer.
And that for sure is something to sing about.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, stony brook, long island news, joe torres
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide