Long Island News
1 dead when car slams into garbage truck
ST. JAMES (WABC) -- One person was killed when a car slammed into a garbage truck on Long Island overnight Wednesday.
The crash happened around 2 a.m. on Route 25 and Huber Place in St. James.
Police say the driver of the car, identified as 25-year-old Jamie Rodriguez, of Hauppauge, died instantly. His Jeep Grand Cherokee was travelling eastbound when he apparently crossed into the westbound lanes and hit the Mack truck.
The truck driver, 50-year-old James Mundy, was was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing. Detectives are asking anyone with information about this crash to call the Fourth Squad at 631-854-8444.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, long island news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 46 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 43 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 15 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 7 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 2 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos