Long Island News
1 dead when car slams into garbage truck
ST. JAMES (WABC) -- One person was killed when a car slammed into a garbage truck on Long Island overnight Wednesday.
The crash happened around 2 a.m. on Route 25 and Huber Place in St. James.
Police say the driver of the car, identified as 25-year-old Jamie Rodriguez, of Hauppauge, died instantly. His Jeep Grand Cherokee was travelling eastbound when he apparently crossed into the westbound lanes and hit the Mack truck.
The truck driver, 50-year-old James Mundy, was was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing. Detectives are asking anyone with information about this crash to call the Fourth Squad at 631-854-8444.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 41 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos