Long Island News
1 dead when car slams into garbage truck
ST. JAMES (WABC) -- One person was killed when a car slammed into a garbage truck on Long Island overnight Wednesday.
The crash happened around 2 a.m. on Route 25 and Huber Place in St. James.
Police say the driver of the car, identified as 25-year-old Jamie Rodriguez, of Hauppauge, died instantly. His Jeep Grand Cherokee was travelling eastbound when he apparently crossed into the westbound lanes and hit the Mack truck.
The truck driver, 50-year-old James Mundy, was was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing. Detectives are asking anyone with information about this crash to call the Fourth Squad at 631-854-8444.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, long island news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen