Long Island News
Katie Beers writes book about kidnapping
OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. (WABC) -- 20 years ago, a young girl was kidnapped and held captive for more than two weeks. Now she has written a book about her ordeal.
"If it wasn't for, not necessarily, the kidnapping, I would not have been brought to the life I now live," said Katie Beers, kidnapping victim.
She is now 30 years old. Two decades removed from the underground nightmare that haunted a little girl and captivated a nation.
Believe it or not, Katie Beers says the anger, the bitterness, and the resentment are gone.
"I would never say you are 100% recovered, because there are little things that can get you here and there. But definitely, writing 'Buried Memories' has helped so much in finalizing my recovery," Beers said.
The married mother of 3-year-old Logan and 17-month-old Halee has written a book about her ordeal; the kidnapping by family friend John Esposito and the sexual assaults she endured while hidden in an underground cell for 17 days in early 1993.
But she also details earlier abuse by her godmother's husband Sal Inghilleri who went to prison for molesting Beers when she was just a toddler.
"My upbringing; the abuse, emotional, physical, sexual, verbal, all prepared me for the abduction," Beers said.
Beers lives in central Pennsylvania now, far away from the horrors of 20 years ago.
How will she handle the renewed interest now that her story is back in the public spotlight?
"I think I'm prepared. I think that my community is so loving that they are going to come at me with open arms and embrace me," Beers said.
And when will she tell her children about what happened to her?
"It really would depend upon when I thought they were mature enough to handle what I'm going to throw at them. I haven't decided how. I haven't decided when," Beers said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, kidnapping, child sex assault, long island news, joe torres
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 18 min ago
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos