Long Island News
Toy gun sparks school lockdown on Long Island
ELMONT (WABC) -- Reports of a suspicious person with a lime grenn gun on school grounds prompted a lockdown at Elmont Memorial High School, but police say the gun was a toy.
Authorities said they recelved a 911 call around 7:30 a.m. about a teen with a back pack possibly carrying a lime green gun. Elmont Memorial High School went into lockdown for several hours.
Officers, including a SWAT team, searched three floors, room by room, before determining the school was safe. The lockdown was lifted shortly before 1 p.m.
But parents concerned over last month's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead raced to the scene to be reunited with their children. A line of about 50 or more parents formed outside the school.
"This is really scary," said Norman Spencer, who arrived at the school on the New York City border to pick up his son Darien. "We've seen numerous reports regarding issues like this, but when it happens here, it touches home."
Darien Spencer said an announcement came over the public address system that the school was in lockdown, and students remained calm throughout the incident.
"At no time were any of your children in danger," Principal John Capozzi told the parents. "All your children are safe."
After an extensive search of the entire building, police found a toy lime green and yellow lever action Nerf gun in a student locker that fit the description of the original call. There were no arrests. The lockdown was lifted and all students and staff members are safe and secure.
The toy gun was confiscated by school officials and will be returned to the parents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, school lockdown, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 31 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
12 min ago