Long Island News
Kid raises money for Guardsman after fire
EAST PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (WABC) -- The door to Eric Carver's home is chained shut now, after a fire destroyed virtually everything inside just two days after Christmas.
Master Sergeant Eric Carver wasn't home. He's serving in the Air National Guard, right now deployed in Africa.
He may have been helpless in this situation, but not to worry, he has friends to help.
"All he's done for us in this community, he's always the first one there for everything," said Thomas Roach, neighbor.
10-year-old Thomas Roach decided to pitch in. First, he gave up all the money he'd just gotten for Christmas two days earlier.
"He was going to use his Christmas money that he received to buy the bracelets and sell them to the neighbors to try and raise money," said Patricia Sitler, neighbor.
Roach has raised more than $3,500 to help rebuild Carver's house in a week, and he's still going.
"How does that make you feel that people responded to your idea like that?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Excited, because I'm like, raising a lot of money for him," Thomas Roach said.
"A few tears, I was so proud of him," said Debbie Roach, Thomas' mother.
Carver will have a lot of work to do on his home when he returns in a few weeks, but not as much as he would have had to do, and now he'll have a little financial head start thanks to his friends in the neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, fire, long island news, jim dolan
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos