Long Island News
Long Island school district proud of security in place
BAY SHORE, New York (WABC) -- The scene of another school scare, is now setting the standard for school safety.
A plot against Connetquot High School in Suffolk County caused the school to implement state of the art security, and now other schools could follow suit.
Everything that's happening in every school in the Connetquot school district is constantly watched at a command center at Connetquot High School.
The changes began back in 2010.
That's when police foiled the plot by 17-year-old Christopher Franko to shoot up Connetquot High School.
Police said he planned to kill teachers, students and staff.
Security was never the same.
Their security is done by A Plus Technology and Security Solutions based in Bay Shore.
President of the company David Antar says their phones have been ringing off the hook.
"Now that Newtown has happened schools are starting to take a very serious approach to something that really should have been done over a longer period of time," he said.
He demonstrated for us something you may soon see in your child's school.
Antar adds, "During an emergency teachers can push a button right here and as soon as that button is pushed their voice becomes heard to administrators or security personnel to alert them that there's an emergency in the classroom."
Pushing the help button can also instantaneously activate surveillance cameras in the classroom.
Lisa Farrell is the principal at Helen B. Duffield Elementary School in Ronkonkoma. She says what's key is making sure the parents and students know that the technology is there.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case 8 min ago
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line 26 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire 49 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
28 min ago