Long Island News
Man indicted in neighbor's decapitation murder
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A Long Island man charged with murder after the body of his nearly decapitated neighbor was found in his closet will be arraigned Thursday on a grand jury indictment in Riverhead.
Police say Aston Barth, 33, confessed to strangling 35-year-old Jason Campbell during an argument in Barth's bedroom in his Central Islip apartment.
Barth allegedly told Suffolk detectives that he struck Campbell in the neck with an ax, post-mortem, in order to dismember the body.
Campbell was reportedly kept in Barth's bedroom closet for about a week before his mother and brother discovered the remains on December 24.
Barth is being held without bail in the Suffolk County Jail.
If convicted, Barth could face up to 25 years to life in prison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, murder, long island news
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 34 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos