Long Island News
Man indicted in neighbor's decapitation murder
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A Long Island man charged with murder after the body of his nearly decapitated neighbor was found in his closet will be arraigned Thursday on a grand jury indictment in Riverhead.
Police say Aston Barth, 33, confessed to strangling 35-year-old Jason Campbell during an argument in Barth's bedroom in his Central Islip apartment.
Barth allegedly told Suffolk detectives that he struck Campbell in the neck with an ax, post-mortem, in order to dismember the body.
Campbell was reportedly kept in Barth's bedroom closet for about a week before his mother and brother discovered the remains on December 24.
Barth is being held without bail in the Suffolk County Jail.
If convicted, Barth could face up to 25 years to life in prison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, murder, long island news
- Metro North trains collide, 60 people injured
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- Vigil held for Hofstra shooting victim
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Woman, boyfriend found shot to death in NJ park
- Tarrytown remembers Hofstra shooting victim
- abcnews: Sole survivor of plane crash breaks silence
- Photos: Scandal Season 2 Finale
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos