Long Island News
Man indicted in neighbor's decapitation murder
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A Long Island man charged with murder after the body of his nearly decapitated neighbor was found in his closet will be arraigned Thursday on a grand jury indictment in Riverhead.
Police say Aston Barth, 33, confessed to strangling 35-year-old Jason Campbell during an argument in Barth's bedroom in his Central Islip apartment.
Barth allegedly told Suffolk detectives that he struck Campbell in the neck with an ax, post-mortem, in order to dismember the body.
Campbell was reportedly kept in Barth's bedroom closet for about a week before his mother and brother discovered the remains on December 24.
Barth is being held without bail in the Suffolk County Jail.
If convicted, Barth could face up to 25 years to life in prison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, murder, long island news
- Missing plane may have turned back 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 46 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 5 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
23 min ago