Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man's car goes airborne with child inside
SPEONK -- A Long Island man has been arrested on a DWI charge after police say his car became airborne when he failed to navigate a turn with his 2-year-old child inside.
Southampton Town police say Timothy Shaw of Rocky Point was arrested in Speonk on Thursday.
They say he was speeding on Montauk Highway when he struck an embankment and his Subaru Forrester became airborne. The vehicle cleared a four-foot residential fence and struck a utility pole head on before coming to rest in the backyard of a house.
Police said Shaw and the child were not hurt.
Shaw also was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and violating "Leandra's Law" for driving while intoxicated with a child less than 16 years of age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 13 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos