Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man's car goes airborne with child inside
SPEONK -- A Long Island man has been arrested on a DWI charge after police say his car became airborne when he failed to navigate a turn with his 2-year-old child inside.
Southampton Town police say Timothy Shaw of Rocky Point was arrested in Speonk on Thursday.
They say he was speeding on Montauk Highway when he struck an embankment and his Subaru Forrester became airborne. The vehicle cleared a four-foot residential fence and struck a utility pole head on before coming to rest in the backyard of a house.
Police said Shaw and the child were not hurt.
Shaw also was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and violating "Leandra's Law" for driving while intoxicated with a child less than 16 years of age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured 29 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards 15 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500? 31 min ago
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards 6 min ago
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers