Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man's car goes airborne with child inside
SPEONK -- A Long Island man has been arrested on a DWI charge after police say his car became airborne when he failed to navigate a turn with his 2-year-old child inside.
Southampton Town police say Timothy Shaw of Rocky Point was arrested in Speonk on Thursday.
They say he was speeding on Montauk Highway when he struck an embankment and his Subaru Forrester became airborne. The vehicle cleared a four-foot residential fence and struck a utility pole head on before coming to rest in the backyard of a house.
Police said Shaw and the child were not hurt.
Shaw also was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and violating "Leandra's Law" for driving while intoxicated with a child less than 16 years of age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 3 min ago
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 1 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest 51 min ago
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
23 min ago