Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man's car goes airborne with child inside
SPEONK -- A Long Island man has been arrested on a DWI charge after police say his car became airborne when he failed to navigate a turn with his 2-year-old child inside.
Southampton Town police say Timothy Shaw of Rocky Point was arrested in Speonk on Thursday.
They say he was speeding on Montauk Highway when he struck an embankment and his Subaru Forrester became airborne. The vehicle cleared a four-foot residential fence and struck a utility pole head on before coming to rest in the backyard of a house.
Police said Shaw and the child were not hurt.
Shaw also was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and violating "Leandra's Law" for driving while intoxicated with a child less than 16 years of age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 21 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 1 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 24 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos