Long Island News
Couple in international tug-of-war over over child
GLEN COVE (WABC) -- A Long Island couple on Thursday is finding themselves in the middle of an international tug-of-war over a child that they are hoping to adopt from Russia.
Maria and Yvan Drewinsky say they have already developed a bond with the 5-year-old boy.
As first-generation Russian-Americans, they planned to raise him with Russian traditions.
However, like dozens of couples across America, they are now in limbo. This comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed to sign a law barring Americans from adopting Russian children.
Some believe that the ban is Russia's relation for US Human Rights Sanctions.
The Drewinskys say they don't know how they will break the news to the child that he may not be coming to live with them after all.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, glen cove, russia, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream 6 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
40 min ago