Long Island News
Couple in international tug-of-war over over child
GLEN COVE (WABC) -- A Long Island couple on Thursday is finding themselves in the middle of an international tug-of-war over a child that they are hoping to adopt from Russia.
Maria and Yvan Drewinsky say they have already developed a bond with the 5-year-old boy.
As first-generation Russian-Americans, they planned to raise him with Russian traditions.
However, like dozens of couples across America, they are now in limbo. This comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed to sign a law barring Americans from adopting Russian children.
Some believe that the ban is Russia's relation for US Human Rights Sanctions.
The Drewinskys say they don't know how they will break the news to the child that he may not be coming to live with them after all.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, glen cove, russia, long island news
- Actor James Gandolfini dead 5 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault 34 min ago
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos