Long Island News
Couple in international tug-of-war over over child
GLEN COVE (WABC) -- A Long Island couple on Thursday is finding themselves in the middle of an international tug-of-war over a child that they are hoping to adopt from Russia.
Maria and Yvan Drewinsky say they have already developed a bond with the 5-year-old boy.
As first-generation Russian-Americans, they planned to raise him with Russian traditions.
However, like dozens of couples across America, they are now in limbo. This comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed to sign a law barring Americans from adopting Russian children.
Some believe that the ban is Russia's relation for US Human Rights Sanctions.
The Drewinskys say they don't know how they will break the news to the child that he may not be coming to live with them after all.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, glen cove, russia, long island news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 25 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
25 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos