Long Island News
Couple in international tug-of-war over over child
GLEN COVE (WABC) -- A Long Island couple on Thursday is finding themselves in the middle of an international tug-of-war over a child that they are hoping to adopt from Russia.
Maria and Yvan Drewinsky say they have already developed a bond with the 5-year-old boy.
As first-generation Russian-Americans, they planned to raise him with Russian traditions.
However, like dozens of couples across America, they are now in limbo. This comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed to sign a law barring Americans from adopting Russian children.
Some believe that the ban is Russia's relation for US Human Rights Sanctions.
The Drewinskys say they don't know how they will break the news to the child that he may not be coming to live with them after all.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, glen cove, russia, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 18 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 21 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos