Long Island News
Couple in international tug-of-war over over child
GLEN COVE (WABC) -- A Long Island couple on Thursday is finding themselves in the middle of an international tug-of-war over a child that they are hoping to adopt from Russia.
Maria and Yvan Drewinsky say they have already developed a bond with the 5-year-old boy.
As first-generation Russian-Americans, they planned to raise him with Russian traditions.
However, like dozens of couples across America, they are now in limbo. This comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed to sign a law barring Americans from adopting Russian children.
Some believe that the ban is Russia's relation for US Human Rights Sanctions.
The Drewinskys say they don't know how they will break the news to the child that he may not be coming to live with them after all.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, glen cove, russia, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ