Long Island News
Family reunited with stolen dog
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's a happy reunion for a 3-year-old boy and his dog.
The Yorkshire terrier snatched from the child a year ago has been found.
While the dog has some serious injuries, the family and the vet hope he'll be ok.
2-year-old Coby has burns all over his body.
It's unclear what exactly happened to him but his owners are just happy he's no longer missing.
More than 13 months ago, someone snatched the Yorkie right out of the arms of then 2-year-old Omar Medrano.
Omar was walking outside his house in Uniondale.
"We heard him crying and we were like what's wrong and all he would say is 'Coby, Coby, Coby,'" said Karen Ayala, Coby's owner.
But earlier this week, Omar's mother Karen Ayala got a phone call from a vet in Freeport.
A lady had just brought the dog in saying she found him a week before.
They scanned a microchip in Coby's neck and matched that number to Ayala's phone number.
"I didn't expect for me to see him in these conditions, but I was very happy to hear that he was there," Ayala said.
Dr. Douglas Wyler, who has a practice in Hempstead, is now treating Coby for free.
Dr. Wyler says he can't be exactly sure what happened to little Coby but he says he has a thought.
"It would appear that someone may have spilled something hot or caustic on him that may have dripped down the side of his body. It may have been hot boiling water or hot oil," Dr. Wyler said.
What makes this reunion story even more touching is that Omar was recently diagnosed with a treatable form of kidney disease and now he has something to comfort him.
"Tell me what you're going to do with him when he comes home," Eyewitness News asked little Omar.
"Play," Omar Medrano said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, dog, long island news, kristin thorne
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 57 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party 59 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos