Long Island News
3 LI students win $33,000 from science competition
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Imagine how high school seniors Jeremy Applebaum, Allen Shin and William Gil felt when they realized they had won one of the most prestigious science competitions in the National Siemens Foundation competition.
"I called my mom a few minutes after they announced the winners and she was screaming and my dad was crying," Jeremy Appelbaum said.
"My parents can't believe what happened. I still can't believe it," William Gil said.
Since their freshman year, the trio has been working in a lab at Hewlett High School studying ferns that contain a protein also found in humans.
They were trying to understand how that protein is involved in causing cancer. Their method of studying is the most advanced and developed out there right now.
They presented the method on Monday in Washington, DC in front of a panel of judges.
Then Tuesday, they received the amazing news.
Not only did their project beat out 1,500 others but they each won $33,000 in college scholarships.
"Maybe as we go to college we could do it in a college facility where we have more equipment and more funding," Allen Shin stated.
Their mentor and teacher, Dr. Terrence Bissoondial, can still remember when the three students came into his classroom three years ago.
"They wanted to study all these other grandiose and magnificent topics and then I told them were going to be study plants and I could see this look of depression settling now. No depression now though. No, no depression now," Dr. Bissoondial said.
With this sort of accomplishment you would obviously expect nothing but big things from these kids. When asked what they want to do when they are older, their answers included a doctor, surgeon and biomedical engineer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 59 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 21 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos