Long Island News
Father attacked by pit bulls while shielding daughter
NEW CASSEL (WABC) -- A Long Island father is recovering from bite wounds after shielding his daughter from a pack pit bulls.
Police say three pit bulls ran out of an open gate at 17-year-old Nyisha Banks' home on Maplewood Drive in New Cassel Monday.
The 44-year-old victim stepped in front of his daughter and was bitten on the arms, legs and torso.
A 16-year-old who tried to help was also bitten on the knee.
Both victims fought off the dogs until Banks and a second juvenile came and removed the dogs, placing them back in the house.
The victims were transported to a local hospital for treatment. The child was not injured.
Banks and the second juvenile are charged with reckless endangerment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, dog attack, new cassel, long island news
- ESPN: Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners 28 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case 30 min ago
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island 31 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 34 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- World Cup teams hoping for luck of the draw
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
34 min ago