Long Island News
Father attacked by pit bulls while shielding daughter
NEW CASSEL (WABC) -- A Long Island father is recovering from bite wounds after shielding his daughter from a pack pit bulls.
Police say three pit bulls ran out of an open gate at 17-year-old Nyisha Banks' home on Maplewood Drive in New Cassel Monday.
The 44-year-old victim stepped in front of his daughter and was bitten on the arms, legs and torso.
A 16-year-old who tried to help was also bitten on the knee.
Both victims fought off the dogs until Banks and a second juvenile came and removed the dogs, placing them back in the house.
The victims were transported to a local hospital for treatment. The child was not injured.
Banks and the second juvenile are charged with reckless endangerment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, dog attack, new cassel, long island news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center 5 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Metro-North to require sleep apnea evaluation
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
31 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos