Long Island News
Four Hofstra basketball players accused in burglaries
HEMPSTEAD, New York (WABC) -- Four Hofstra University basketball players have been arrested in connection to six burglaries in the dorm rooms, according to Nassau County police.
The students allegedly entered six unlocked dorm rooms and removed an undetermined amount of money, a Sony laptop and multiple Apple products, according to police.
Hofstra's Department of Public Safety fully cooperated with the department throughout the investigation.
The student athletes that were arrested are: Shaquille Stokes, 20, Kentrell Washington, 18, Jimmy Hall Jr., 18, and Dallas Anglin, 18.
Three of the dorms that the defendants allegedly stole items from were Alliance Hall, Enterprise Hall and Graduate Hall.
Police said at a Hofstra police conference that one young lady who lost her iPad logged into "find my iPad" on Tuesday and saw that it was now registered to Shaquille Stokes.
A number of students had reported their things had gone missing from their dorm rooms.
Police added that some items were sold on craigslist, to other students, and on the streets. The defendants allegedly used the money to buy clothes and meal cards. Many of the stolen items have not been recovered.
Police have seized $10,000 worth of items but believe much more than that was stolen.
One of defendants had been interviewed in October for possibly stealing. After the interview, he tried to get rid of some of stolen goods, according to police.
All four students were arraigned and entered not guilty pleas.
The Universtiy released the following statement:
This morning, Nassau County Police Department, in cooperation with the Hofstra Department of Public Safety, announced the arrest of four Hofstra University men's basketball student-athletes on various counts of burglary. The players have been identified as Shaquille Stokes, Jimmy Hall, Kentrell Washington and Dallas Anglin.
Hofstra's Department of Public Safety has been working closely with the Nassau County Police Department since the investigation began. Due to the nature of the charges, the four students have been immediately suspended from the University, including the basketball team, classes, residence halls and facilities, pending the outcome of the case.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 39 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 48 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 1 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
30 min ago