Long Island News
Puppy found abandoned, abused on Long Island
BELLPORT (WABC) -- The SPCA is looking for the person or persons who neglected and abused a dog on Long Island.
Midnight is a black lab mix found in an abandoned yard in Bellport.
She was severely malnourished and suffering from a broken leg.
Veterinarians estimate that Midnight is less than a year old, and she will have to undergo surgery to repair her leg. But because she was emaciated, she will need to put on weight before she can have the operation. Additional joint problems were found, and there is a problem with one of her knees.
She also needs treatments for parasites.
Dr. Dennis Dougherty, who will be performing the surgery, said that the injuries to the dog were caused by blunt force trauma.
"This is a very sweet dog and we will do everything we can to see that she gets the proper treatment," SPCA chief Ray Gross said.
The SPCA is looking for any information that could lead to an arrest, and also for donations to raise money for Midnight. CLICK HERE to make a donation through PayPal.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bellport, animal abuse, long island news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 55 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 37 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos