Long Island News
Puppy found abandoned, abused on Long Island
BELLPORT (WABC) -- The SPCA is looking for the person or persons who neglected and abused a dog on Long Island.
Midnight is a black lab mix found in an abandoned yard in Bellport.
She was severely malnourished and suffering from a broken leg.
Veterinarians estimate that Midnight is less than a year old, and she will have to undergo surgery to repair her leg. But because she was emaciated, she will need to put on weight before she can have the operation. Additional joint problems were found, and there is a problem with one of her knees.
She also needs treatments for parasites.
Dr. Dennis Dougherty, who will be performing the surgery, said that the injuries to the dog were caused by blunt force trauma.
"This is a very sweet dog and we will do everything we can to see that she gets the proper treatment," SPCA chief Ray Gross said.
The SPCA is looking for any information that could lead to an arrest, and also for donations to raise money for Midnight. CLICK HERE to make a donation through PayPal.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bellport, animal abuse, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 44 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos