Long Island News
Long Island police documents end up as parade confetti
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- Nassau County police are investigating how shredded but still readable police documents ended up as confetti at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
A lawyer and his son picked up confetti that contained confidential information about cases and police officers.
As the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade made its way down the Upper West Side last week, Saul Finkelstein and his family made a very odd discovery.
"It's everywhere, everywhere you look," Finkelstein said.
They expect to be coated with confetti at their usual perch at 65th and Central Park West, but this time, something was seriously wrong.
"One of my son's friends found some with a social security number on it," Finkelstein said.
Turns out the tiny bits of paper were shredded documents from the Nassau County Police Department, loaded with the names, phone numbers, even social security numbers of cops.
Now, they're all over Central Park West.
Sources tell Eyewitness News two officers, planning to attend the parade with their kids, grabbed a bag of shredded documents to throw as confetti, but they didn't realize the documents had improperly shredded to begin with.
Nassau Police have already ordered a review of document security, and officers whose identities were compromised will be given free credit monitoring for life.
Saul Finkelstein says he's glad his family figured it all out.
"Why they would use this kind of material is something we'll never know," Finkelstein said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, thanksgiving day parade, long island news, josh einiger
- AccuWeather Alert: Storm, flash flood warnings 40 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 11 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 53 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- AccuWeather Alert: Storm, flash flood...
40 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a...
19 min ago