Long Island News
Pedestrian killed by van on Long Island
WEST HEMPSTEAD, New York (WABC) -- Police on New York's Long Island are investigating an accident that killed a 22-year-old pedestrian.
Nassau County police detectives report 22-year-old Johnny Bonilla of West Hempstead was struck by a taxi driver in a Dodge Caravan shortly after 2 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day in West Hempstead.
Detectives say the driver was heading north on Hempstead Avenue and Bonilla was walking in the road. Bonilla was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Authorities say the driver's breathalyzer test was negative, and there is no evidence of criminal conduct. The vehicle was impounded for brake and safety checks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 41 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014