7 Things to know about the papal conclave
VATICAN CITY (WABC) -- The Cardinals will meet Monday to discuss the start of the papal conclave to vote on successors to Pope Benedict XVI. Here are 7 things to know about the conclave.
1) Only Cardinals under the age of 80 can vote in the conclave.
2) The Cardinals traditionally take one vote on the first day of the conclave, and then, if necessary, there are 4 votes each following day - two in the morning, two in the afternoon.
3) A papal candidate needs two thirds of the 115 Cardinal-elector votes to become pope.
4) Cardinals use paper ballots to cast their vote. Each ballot is pre-printed with the words 'I elect as Supreme Pontiff' written in Latin. Cardinals are encouraged to disguise their handwriting when writing down the candidate of their choice.
5) After each vote, the ballots are burned in a small stove inside the Sistine Chapel. A chemical mix produces either black or white smoke.
6) After gathering enough votes, a candidate officially becomes Pope the moment he formally 'accepts' the position.
7) Black smoke from the Sistine Chapel chimney indicates an inconclusive vote. White smoke means 'We have a Pope.'
Joe Torres is traveling to the Vatican to cover the papal conclave. You can see his reports on Eyewitness News and 7online, and follow him on Twitter at @JoeTorresABC7
papal conclave, pope benedict XVI, vatican, italy, local news, joe torres
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for NYC 41 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 55 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for...
41 min ago