7 Things to Know: Oscars history
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are seven things to know about the history of the Oscars.
1. Bob Hope has hosted the Academy Awards ceremony more than any other person, a record 18 times.
2. Three movies ("Ben-Hur," "Titanic" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King") share the record for the most Oscar wins, with 11. "All About Eve" and "Titanic" garnered the most nominations, with 14. The most nods for a film that came away empty-handed is 11, for "The Turning Point" and "The Color Purple."
3. Nine men have won Best Actor twice. They are Marlon Brando, Gary Cooper, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks, Dustin Hoffman, Fredric March, Jack Nicholson, Sean Penn and Spencer Tracy. Eight-time nominee Peter O'Toole holds the record for the most nominations without a win.
4. Only three movies have won the so-called big five awards. "It Happened One Night" was the first film to win Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Screenplay in 1934. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" followed in 1975, and "The Silence of the Lambs" accomplished the same feat in 1991.
5. Meryl Streep holds the record for most acting nominations, at 17. She has only three wins.
6. Walt Disney's 26 Oscars are the most of any person. He won 22 competitive awards and four honorary.
7. The longest Oscar telecast, in 2002, checked in at 4 hours and 23 minutes. The shortest was in 1959, at just 1 hour and 40 minutes.
More Oscars Coverage:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
oscars, local news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters 19 min ago
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city 2 min ago
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square 47 min ago
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
34 min ago