7 Things to know: When searching for Unclaimed Funds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are 7 tips to be aware of while looking for unclaimed funds.
1. NEVER pay to find unclaimed funds. NEVER. There are fee-based databases on the web. There is no reason to use them when you can easily do the same work on FREE online databases: NY: https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/, NJ: http://www.unclaimedproperty.nj.gov/, Conn: http://www.ctbiglist.com/
2. Search your own name and, if applicable, search your maiden name(s).
3. Start the search by inputting your last name, with only your first initial. Your first name might spelled incorrectly or differently.
4. Search the database for relatives or friends, alive or dead.
5. Gather documentation (social security number(s) of the person, proof of former addresses, or copies of wills or trust documents).
6. If you've lived in other states, go on: www.unclaimed.org to find if you have money there.
7. Input and search businesses you or your family members may have been affiliated with.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
unclaimed money, local news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos