7 Things to know: When searching for Unclaimed Funds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are 7 tips to be aware of while looking for unclaimed funds.
1. NEVER pay to find unclaimed funds. NEVER. There are fee-based databases on the web. There is no reason to use them when you can easily do the same work on FREE online databases: NY: https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/, NJ: http://www.unclaimedproperty.nj.gov/, Conn: http://www.ctbiglist.com/
2. Search your own name and, if applicable, search your maiden name(s).
3. Start the search by inputting your last name, with only your first initial. Your first name might spelled incorrectly or differently.
4. Search the database for relatives or friends, alive or dead.
5. Gather documentation (social security number(s) of the person, proof of former addresses, or copies of wills or trust documents).
6. If you've lived in other states, go on: www.unclaimed.org to find if you have money there.
7. Input and search businesses you or your family members may have been affiliated with.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
unclaimed money, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 34 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 47 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos