Lifestyle & Fun
Fancy jewelry you can make yourself
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's jewelry fancy enough to wear on the runway, but you make it yourself.
And everything you need to make it is delivered right to you every month.
It's sort of like a CARE package of supplies, and it's in the form of a subscription service, so every month you receive a new box full of accessories for you to make from one of the city's most loved trimming stores.
For example, an equestrian style necklace that even the least crafty person can make.
When you sign up for Project DIY, or 'Do It Yourself', you receive a new kit every month with three surprise projects inside.
"We are trying to make it as easy as possible for each customer. We are providing in each box instructions, lists and the products are cut to the length you need, so you don't have to worry about that stuff," said Michele Levy, the lead jewelry designer at M & J Trimmings.
And since Michele won't be at your side, there are online guies to walk you through every step.
At M and J Trimmings, there are 100,000 kinds of trim, ribbons, feathers, and beads.
The owner noticed that customers want to make their own accessories, but all of this is well, overwhelming.
"You don't know where to start, what to buy, how much to buy, and if you buy you buy too much so what we do is, preparing everything for the customer," said David Cohen, of M & J Trimmings.
And the looks are inspired by current trends.
"Magazines, street fashions, the runways we look at, bloggers, we have a really creative team here that works together," said Levy.
Making every step beyond easy.
"We hope there will be very little room for error, you hope there will be something you can wear absolutely," she said. "We like to use real leather, real suede, brass chains, high quality products so people will be able to wear them knowing they're sturdy, will last a long time and they're beautiful."
And there's great satisfaction to know you've made it yourself.
And Project DIY is $30 a month. That includes three projects each month. You can sign up for one month at a time, or the whole year. It's a great gift idea as well.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PROJECT DIY: http://mjprojectdiy.com/
lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review 55 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say 44 min ago
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
3 min ago