Lifestyle & Fun
Hippo returned to China zoo after escaping during typhoon
CHINA (WABC) -- A zoo in southern China has its Hippopotamus back after he used flooding from a typhoon to escape.
The hippo was seen floating in a river near the zoo.
Zoo officials say he swam over a guard railing after a typhoon hit the area and flooded his enclosure with more than 6 feet of water.
"The hippo's legs are only 20 centimeters long," zoo director Guo Jinxian said. "So it is unable to jump out of the railing. However the hippo was able to swim out of its home as the water level was 80 centimeters higher than the guard railing when we detected it last night."
A seal and two turtles also used the storm to escape, but the zoo says all of the animals were returned safe and sound.
lifestyle & fun
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 29 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 19 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
48 min ago
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos