Lifestyle & Fun
Hippo returned to China zoo after escaping during typhoon
CHINA (WABC) -- A zoo in southern China has its Hippopotamus back after he used flooding from a typhoon to escape.
The hippo was seen floating in a river near the zoo.
Zoo officials say he swam over a guard railing after a typhoon hit the area and flooded his enclosure with more than 6 feet of water.
"The hippo's legs are only 20 centimeters long," zoo director Guo Jinxian said. "So it is unable to jump out of the railing. However the hippo was able to swim out of its home as the water level was 80 centimeters higher than the guard railing when we detected it last night."
A seal and two turtles also used the storm to escape, but the zoo says all of the animals were returned safe and sound.
lifestyle & fun
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 56 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 57 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
24 min ago