Lifestyle & Fun
Alvin Ailey returns to Lincoln Center
NEW YORK (WABC) -- For the first time in more than a decade, Alvin Ailey is returning to Lincoln Center.
Wednesday night the American dance theater is kicking off the first of seven performances.
The company will do the classics, like "Revelations", and also celebrate this milestone with the much anticipated world premiere of a very special piece.
It's a first in 13 years. Artistic director Robert Battle says that performing at Lincoln Center, gives this highly acclaimed dance company a chance to remind everyone exactly who they are.
"We don't just dance, we educate, that we go to the interior to the heart," said Robert Battle, artistic director of Alvin Ailey.
Kicking off this historic engagement is the world premiere of "Four Corners" by celebrated choreographer Ron K. Brown, who was at rehearsal Wednesday.
It is Matthew Rushing's 20th year with Ailey and he is front and center in this highly emotional piece, layered with meaning.
For Fana Tesfagiorgis, from Madison, Wisconsin, being on this stage is a dream come true.
She danced with Ailey 2; this will be her first performance with the main company.
Robert says this engagement is a tribute to where this company has come from under the director of Alvin Ailey and Judith Jamison and where it's going.
On a personal note, something very special, he went to Julliard.
"It's sort of full circle moment, coming here at 17 and now at the helm of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater," Battle said.
Ailey will be at Lincoln Center through June 16th and each evening, there will be a different line up of pieces.
For more information please visit: http://www.alvinailey.org/
dancing, lincoln center, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 54 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 56 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
54 min ago