Lifestyle & Fun
Housing Works: Building homes for the homeless and others
NEW YORK (WABC) -- If you're looking to spruce up your home with some new décor, now's the time. Dozens of top designers are donating items you can buy.
"The design community is really the back bone of what has made this event so successful year after year," said Rebecca Edmondson.
62 top designers, who are busy pulling together a treasure chest of items.
Once sold, the money will then be used to build apartments for the homeless and those with HIV and AIDS.
It's all part of Housing Works annual benefit, Design on a Dime.
"Having to come to and live in a new building that's just being opened, for me it's like the biggest thing," said Elaine Robinson.
That's because Elaine recently got out of prison.
While behind bars, she learned about Housing Works and knew there was a place in her life for the organization.
Running the streets in her old neighborhood, she decided, was no longer an option.
"I wanted to change my life and I thought that if I went back, that I would still be around the same people doing the same things and I no longer wanted that," she said.
Well now she has a new home on Jefferson Avenue in Bed-Sty. Its Housing Works' newest project. Twelve apartments for those ready to leave transitional housing and move in a permanent space.
It's a $2.1 million gut renovation was mostly paid for with money from Design on a Dime.
Elaine believes Housing Works truly saved her life.
lifestyle & fun
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow hits southern New Jersey, heads for NYC 36 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes 30 min ago
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV