Lifestyle & Fun
Spinning in a swimming pool
NEW YORK (WABC) -- What happens when you put a spin bike in a swimming pool?
It's now happening at one gym and makes for quite the workout.
How could it not, having water that's 84 degrees, flowing over your lower body and occasionally splashing on your upper half.
It's a new class that challenges even the fiercest fitness fanatics.
If you dare to go deep, the water is 4 feet and are willing to take it up a notch, then add aqua cycling to your to do list.
Aqua Studio in TriBeCa is the only place where you can experience that type of workout.
For 45 minutes, wearing specially designed rubber shoes, you pedal and use your arms to burn hundreds of calories.
"You don't change the resistance during the class, the resistance is set at the beginning and so you have natural resistance of the water," said Esther Gauthier, the studio owner.
After only a short time you really begin to feel it.
The water essentially acts as a layer of protection.
It's the same philosophy physical therapists, treating athletes with knee injuries follow.
"There is no impact on your joints because your body weight is supported by the water," adds Esther.
But unlike cycling on land, here in the pool, the water moves you from side to side, so you really have to use your core to keep your body aligned.
During the class, you constantly switch between first, second and third positions.
Phone: (212) 966-6784
lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green