Lifestyle & Fun
Prom dresses for Hurricane Sandy victims
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- Never in their wildest dreams did seniors at New Dorp High School seniors expect to see nearly one thousand dresses.
They were donated so that countless young ladies in our area would have something to wear to their prom.
Dennis is the brains behind this amazing effort. Each year, through his non-profit, www.where-to-turn.org, he collects prom dresses and gives them to students who can't afford them.
We were there back in January as he launched the campaign, but this time around, he decided to focus on students who lost everything during Superstorm Sandy, knowing it would be tough for them to pull things together for what is such an important milestone in their lives.
As the word got out, donations started pouring in - shoes, handbags, accessories and more. People from all over the country sent in dresses.
On Saturday, Dennis and a team of volunteers will give away all of this. During the prom expo, there will also be a raffle. Hairstylists and makeup artists have also donated their services for the big day.
Dennis stresses even though the prom expo is being held in Staten Island he says it's open to any young lady in our area who was affected by Sandy.
And it's not just for prom, if you're having your sweet sixteen or graduation, Dennis says stop by.
For more information, please visit: www.where-to-turn.org
superstorm sandy, prom, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- NJ forest fires force hundreds out of homes 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment 31 min ago
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 44 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
26 min ago