Lifestyle & Fun
Kangaroo meat brings taste of Australia to Astoria
ASTORIA (WABC) -- They're hopping all over Australia, but now kangaroos are popping up in our area: on a menu.
A restaurant in Queens is serving up meat from the marsupial.
The folks at the Thirsty Koala, Astoria's newest Australian inspired restaurant, hope New Yorkers will be adventurous enough to try kangaroo.
Katherine Fuchs is chef and co-owner and along with her Australian business partners came up with the idea of introducing customers to kangaroo, which is quickly becoming an alternative to things like beef and venison.
"It's high in protein, it's got omega 3 fatty acids, it has an antioxidant which is a fat burning oxidant," said Fuchs.
Katherine points out it's also packed with Vitamin B.
She gets the meat from a ranch in Queensland, Australia, and offers customers three options.
I'd say the sliders are a good way to ease into things.
There's a steak and then the burger.
Think of that as the king of all kangaroos, topped with housemade goat cheese, bacon and eggs.
Since opening in late December, the 'roo has been kickin'.
"I'd say two thirds of the hamburgers and sliders we now sell are kangaroo as opposed to beef," said Fuchs.
Right now the 'roo is just a special on the menu but things are going so well, Katherine is adding it to the main menu.
astoria, queens, restaurant, lifestyle & fun, kemberly richardson
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 5 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 14 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 44 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
33 min ago