Lifestyle & Fun
7 Blocks: Boerum Hill, Brooklyn
BOERUM HILL, New York (WABC) -- Welcome to Boerum Hill and when you step out into the neighborhood you step into the priciest neighborhood in Brooklyn and one of the priciest neighborhoods in all of New York City.
Row after row of charming restored brownstones line the streets just a block from the stop. The median price of homes here now at a whopping $950,000.
Art has played a role in the popularity of the area, one of the new kids in the area is just one block west of the stop.
The Invisible Dog Art Center, an exhibition space and gallery.
The center taking its name from the factory's historic past. This is where they used to make those invisible dog leashes, once popular in the 80's.
A few feet away is another popular gathering spot. Called 61 local, the restaurant/ coffee shop prides itself in using products made from Brooklyn. Even the cutlery is a display shows off a local supplier's work.
"Lots of Brooklyn pride. We do represent other east coast craft people's but we are in special time and place that is really is Brooklyn centric that we are happy to represent that," said Kris De La Torre.
Four blocks from the station is Atlantic Avenue. A bustling mile or so of trendy stores, fancy shops and cafes.
It is not all for tourists. Four blocks away is also the Brooklyn House of Detention. Many residents not thrilled it reopened on Atlantic Avenue after being closed since 2003.
But the Department of Corrections needed the space even if it's in a trendy part of town.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
eyewitness news at 4 p.m., seven blocks, in your neighborhood, lifestyle & fun, david novarro
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 35 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
58 min ago