Lifestyle & Fun
7 Blocks: Boerum Hill, Brooklyn
BOERUM HILL, New York (WABC) -- Welcome to Boerum Hill and when you step out into the neighborhood you step into the priciest neighborhood in Brooklyn and one of the priciest neighborhoods in all of New York City.
Row after row of charming restored brownstones line the streets just a block from the stop. The median price of homes here now at a whopping $950,000.
Art has played a role in the popularity of the area, one of the new kids in the area is just one block west of the stop.
The Invisible Dog Art Center, an exhibition space and gallery.
The center taking its name from the factory's historic past. This is where they used to make those invisible dog leashes, once popular in the 80's.
A few feet away is another popular gathering spot. Called 61 local, the restaurant/ coffee shop prides itself in using products made from Brooklyn. Even the cutlery is a display shows off a local supplier's work.
"Lots of Brooklyn pride. We do represent other east coast craft people's but we are in special time and place that is really is Brooklyn centric that we are happy to represent that," said Kris De La Torre.
Four blocks from the station is Atlantic Avenue. A bustling mile or so of trendy stores, fancy shops and cafes.
It is not all for tourists. Four blocks away is also the Brooklyn House of Detention. Many residents not thrilled it reopened on Atlantic Avenue after being closed since 2003.
But the Department of Corrections needed the space even if it's in a trendy part of town.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
eyewitness news at 4 p.m., seven blocks, in your neighborhood, lifestyle & fun, david novarro
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters 19 min ago
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city 2 min ago
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square 47 min ago
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
34 min ago