Lifestyle & Fun
A museum exhibit that you can eat
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It isn't a kitchen or a restaurant or someone's home. Instead, it's inside the American Museum of Natural History, right smack dab in the middle of an exhibition.
"I never thought I'd be eating and drinking in a museum, especially the museum of natural history,"
But it makes sense when you consider the subject - Our Global Kitchen: Nature, Food, Culture.
"Our kitchen is all about the science of taste and why we taste things differently,"
In the kitchen you may try jelly beans -- eating them while holding your nose. That teaches you about how all our sense play into the food experience.
There are plenty of other things to try. Aside from the kitchen, the exhibition has classic Natural History type of dioramas depicting meals in other cultures and other eras. You'll also learn how food is grown, produced, transported, consumed and even wasted. For example, each American throws out 414 pounds of food every year.
The future of food is addressed as well. All of this may leave you hungry for change, but you will be well fed.
You can learn more about the Global Kitchen exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History website at http://www.amnh.org.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, american museum of natural history, lifestyle & fun, lauren glassberg
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees