Lifestyle & Fun
Trendy Batik retail boutique opens in Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Are you looking for something to do over the holidays with your kids? How about Batik? It is an ancient art form that's hip in Brooklyn.
Batik is hundreds of years old and you saw a lot of it in the 1970s. But it's trendy now and there's a place where you can create your own Batik.
Julia Gordon mastered Batik and built a business selling her Batik designs for 15 years. But this fall, she and her business partner Robyn Stylman opened HiHo Batik boutique in Brooklyn.
"Right now Brooklyn is about do it yourself artisan and making your own," Stylman said.
The first step is to pick a template and trace it with hot wax or create your own design. Then start painting with dye. You can also drop it in during store hours to Batik or you can take a class or even host a party here.
"We always find people are pleasantly surprised with the end result so that's always very exciting,"
In the very back there's a whole production area for large orders and at the front of the store is filled with color.
Girls and boys will like the designs and adults can find something too.
Batik may remind you of your childhood but somehow it works even if you're not 5-years-old. ONLINE: HiHoBatik.com.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win