Victory for transgender former teacher
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 60-year-old Marla Krolikowskii, formerly known as Mark, was fired after 32 years in October, 2012 as a teacher at St. Francis Catholic high school in Queens. She claims it was because she declared she is transgender, that the then vice principal called her worse than gay.
"It's terrible. They robbed me of dignity and livelihood I loved," said Krolikowski.
School officials refused to speak to Eyewitness News on Monday.
"She was fired for appropriate non-discriminatory reasons. She was insubordinate," said St. Francis Prep Attorney Phil Semprevivo.
However, Andrew Kimler, Krolikowskii's attorney said that there was no insubordination, and that the insubordination was that she was transgender.
Both sides squared off in court Monday, Judge Duane Hart was openly skeptical about the school's insubordination claim.
"Insubordination after 32 years of teaching? And the insubordination seems to coincide with the expression of being transgender?" Judge Hart said.
Judge Hart then rejected a separate motion by the school that Krolikowski's was essentially a minister, and that religious institutions have the right to hire and fire those employees without court interference.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at email@example.com.
investigations, sarah wallace
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Death toll rises to 13 in Mount Everest...
54 min ago