Victory for transgender former teacher
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 60-year-old Marla Krolikowskii, formerly known as Mark, was fired after 32 years in October, 2012 as a teacher at St. Francis Catholic high school in Queens. She claims it was because she declared she is transgender, that the then vice principal called her worse than gay.
"It's terrible. They robbed me of dignity and livelihood I loved," said Krolikowski.
School officials refused to speak to Eyewitness News on Monday.
"She was fired for appropriate non-discriminatory reasons. She was insubordinate," said St. Francis Prep Attorney Phil Semprevivo.
However, Andrew Kimler, Krolikowskii's attorney said that there was no insubordination, and that the insubordination was that she was transgender.
Both sides squared off in court Monday, Judge Duane Hart was openly skeptical about the school's insubordination claim.
"Insubordination after 32 years of teaching? And the insubordination seems to coincide with the expression of being transgender?" Judge Hart said.
Judge Hart then rejected a separate motion by the school that Krolikowski's was essentially a minister, and that religious institutions have the right to hire and fire those employees without court interference.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at email@example.com.
investigations, sarah wallace
- Newtown 911 calls released 45 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 39 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 13 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 51 min ago
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease 2 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
39 min ago