After fall, elderly woman waits an hour for EMS
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are new questions about those ongoing delays in New York City's emergency 911 system.
The latest incident happened after an elderly woman fell on the floor of her apartment in Queens.
Relatives say they called 911, but it took more than an hour for an ambulance to arrive.
"She was by the bed," said Butler Jones, a senior citizen.
Butler Jones says he went into action when he saw his friend, 96-year-old Irene Boylan, collapsed on the floor of her apartment. They both live at the Calvary Baptist Church Senior Houses in Jamaica.
"They told me the system was down. The system was down," Jones said.
Over several hours Monday, the FDNYs dispatch system crashed and operators had to resort back to pen and paper. Whether that made a difference in Mrs. Boylan's case isn't clear, there was a massive delay in getting an ambulance to her.
"I called ambulance at 1:18 and it arrived at 2:27," said Fernando Sealey, a security guard.
It took an hour and 10 minutes for help to arrive.
The officer manager tried to step in too.
"I am panicked, it doesn't make sense," said Nashee Bishop, the office manager.
The fire department says there was a high volume of calls Monday, and that Mrs. Boylan's call was a low priority because the patient was breathing, conscious and not bleeding, and that age is not a factor in determining priority.
The initial ambulance was also diverted to a pedestrian struck. But to those trying to help Irene Boylan, there is just no excuse.
"How outrageous, it has to stop," Bishop said.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at email@example.com.
queens, investigations, sarah wallace
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 48 min ago
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village